Los Angeles Lakers win NBA Finals

The Lakers won the NBA Finals 4-2, completing the season after a break due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) – Photo by Lakers / Twitter

After an unusual NBA season, there's a new champion: the Los Angeles Lakers. They clinched the title Sunday night after beating the Miami Heat in Game 6 of the NBA Finals, 106-93. 

This is the Lakers' 17th Championship title. They won the Finals 4-2, completing the season after a break due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

A postponement in March was followed by the resumption of play in July. The remainder of the season was played in a bubble where only the teams and players' families stayed in Orlando, Florida.

Led by head coach Frank Vogel, Los Angeles clinched the first seed of the Western Conference in the regular-season matchups. They moved on to play the Portland Trail Blazers, beating them 4-1.

The Lakers then faced the Houston Rockets in the Western Conference Semifinals, winning that series 4-1 as well. They then faced the Denver Nuggets in the Western Conference Finals, also beating them 4-1. The road to the 17th title ended 15 days later.

In the six games of the playoffs, the Heat went down the first two games of the series and bounced back in the third,. Los Angeles then picked up the tempo in the fourth game, winning 102-96. Two days later, Miami won a close contest, 111-108, before Game 6.

After 10 years of not being champions, the Lakers were crowned, including power forward LeBron James, center Anthony Davis and point guard Rajon Rondo. In Game 6, James had a triple-double, with 28 points, 10 assists and 14 rebounds. Davis had 19 points, three assists and 15 rebounds. Rondo tallied 19 points and four assists. At the end of the game, James was named the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the NBA Finals. 

James won his fourth NBA title, as well as his fourth Finals MVP award.

"He's the greatest player the basketball universe has ever seen," Vogel said, according to CBS Sports.

Los Angeles spent the last 93 days in Orlando and ultimately lifted the Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy. Now fans must wait for the start of the next season, which is likely either December or January.