DELFINO: Seed Burger, classic burger joint without typical burger ingredients

Column: Cameron's Crunch

Seed Burger’s vegan take on American hamburgers will leave you in disbelief that it is not actually meat. – Photo by Instagram

Two years ago, I would have never imagined that I would be a person who sought out vegan food. But now, after reading tons of articles and watching different videos and documentaries, I love learning about and trying vegan foods.

For a few months, I have been dying to try Seed Burger. I would always see people coming in and out of the store, and as one of the few restaurants devoted to solely being vegan, I thought it had to be good. I recruited a vegetarian friend of mine, and we headed down to Rutgers for the day to see if it lived up to my expectations.

It usually has five vegan burger options on its menu, but the Chipotle Bean Burger was out of stock. The other four options were the Impossible Seed Burger, the Beyond Seed Burger, the Buff Chick Burger and the Giant Kale Burger.

It also has four fry options: sweet potato fries, yuca fries, straight cut fries and potato wedges, and vegan chicken tenders that you can get on the side. I decided to go with the Impossible Seed Burger and a side of potato wedges.

The burger comes with spinach, tomato, red onion, pickles and their special sauce all on a potato bun. I am not a fan of raw onions, so I got everything on my burger except for the onions. If you are looking for more than the basics, they give you options to take your burger to the next level.

You can add vegan cheese, avocado and extra patties, and they offer different buns too: pretzel, gluten-free and even a lettuce wrap! Although they do not have a vast menu, the variety of customization makes up for it.

The presentation of the burger was simply beautiful, and the taste was even better. I have tried vegan burgers at a bunch of different restaurants, but this was the best one I have had yet. Not only was the taste of the patty delicious, but the toppings and sauce were too. The patty was freshly grilled, and the tomatoes and spinach brought a significant fresh element to the burger.

The pickles were everything I look for when eating a pickle. It had an excellent pickle flavor and an audible crunch that added an incredible contrast of texture. The pickle’s flavor was present but not too overpowering, where I was still able to taste and enjoy the other ingredients of the burger.

By far, my favorite part of the burger was the special sauce. I am not sure exactly what type of sauce this is, but it reminded me of a fresher McDonald’s Big Mac sauce with some cajun seasoning flavor.

With any sauce on a burger, it is essential that there is just enough sauce to coat the burger without making it a soggy mess. Seed Burger nailed this aspect, and the sauce tied all of the flavors together and had me excited for the next bite.

With my potato wedges, I was given a side of the special sauce, which I was ecstatic about. The potato wedges had a good seasoning to them, but they were slightly underdone, and I would have preferred them to be more crispy. But since they were air-fried, they did not feel as greasy and oily, which I enjoyed.

Generally, after I eat a burger and fries, I feel like garbage. Everything is just so greasy and red meat just does not sit well with me. Not with Seed Burger! Its vegan take on burgers and fries just goes to show that plant-based options are not only delicious, but they do not make you feel bad after either.

The price of Seed Burger is not too bad either. With the burgers priced approximately $10 and the sides ranging between $4 and $6, everything is reasonably priced, especially for vegan food. Fresh vegetables and plant-based meat can be expensive, so to spend $15 on a fresh burger and fries where I am completely satisfied at the end of my meal is worth it to me.

I am a huge fan of Seed Burger now. It is not only because it is showing its customers that there are delicious plant-based options, but also its core values of compassion, community and sustainability translate into its food and overall business, and I can really appreciate that. It is good to know that there are places near campus that are built on great morals with fantastic food!

Cameron Delfino is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in journalism and media studies. His column, "Cameron's Crunch," runs on alternate Tuesdays.

___________________________________________________________________________*

Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.