Rutgers women's basketball recruits new players

With the additions of Destiny Marshall and Aicha Ndour, head women's basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer's roster includes eight guards and two centers. – Photo by Benjamin Chelnitsky

A canceled fall sports season isn’t going to stop Rutgers women’s basketball head coach C. Vivian Stringer from adding promising new student-athletes to the team. The Scarlet Knights are going into next season with two new recruits coming in. 

True freshman center Aicha Ndour, a Senegal native, and junior guard Destiny Marshall, a transfer from Jacksonville, will join Rutgers alongside five other recruits. 

These five players include true freshmen guards Diamond Johnson, Elizabeth Martino and Erica Lafayette, forward Chyna Cornwell and center Sakima Walker.

The 5-foot-10-inch Marshall was a three-time ASUN Newcomer of the Week for the Dolphins last season. She will come to the Knights with career averages of 14.9 points and five rebounds per game.

Being that Rutgers already has high ranking guards on the team, such as fifth-year senior guard Arella Guirantes, junior guard Zipporah Broughton and newly recruited players Johnson and Martino, Marshall will most likely have to work for playing time. She has the opportunity to learn from Guirantes, who’s a Big Ten scoring champion and the No. 9 ranked scorer nationally.

“Destiny will bring a great deal of toughness to our defense,” Stringer said. “She is relentless attacking the basket. Everyone involved in our program knows you must have depth at each position to win in the Big Ten and in the NCAA Tournament. Destiny will be a great addition to our program.” 

Knowing that the Knights are ranked No. 21 in the nation in scoring defense at 56.1 points allowed per game, Marshall will look to be a good fit in adding more fuel to the already strong defensive team.

Marshall also has spoken on why she decided to continue her career at Rutgers. 

"I choose the Rutgers women's basketball program (due to) the hard work and determination everyone must put in to succeed, as well as the style of play,” she said. “Another important reason I chose Rutgers was the genuine support from the coaching staff and their high level of experience in the game.”

Alongside Marshall, 6-foot-6-inch Ndour will join the recruiting class this year. She is a product of the SEED Academy and the Women’s NBA Academy of Africa, and took part in the first NBA Academy girl’s basketball camp in Senegal. She also played in games at Next Generation Saturday at the NCAA Women’s Final Four alongside players from various countries. 

Ndour said she chose the Knights because "(she) sees a sense of family in the program.” She believes the coaching staff and the players could help her reach her goals and become the person she aims to be. 

“(Ndour) has tremendous upside and has just scratched the surface of her abilities,” Stringer said. “We are excited for the significant future impact she will have on our program during her career at Rutgers and beyond.”

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.