Kieran Mullins returns to Rutgers lacrosse

Senior attackman Kieran Mullins ranks 11th all-time in program history with 99 goals scored and eighth all-time with 179 career points. – Photo by Twitter

Fifth-year senior attackman Kieran Mullins of the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team is returning for the Spring 2021 season. 

Mullins, along with many other seniors, had their final season taken away from them due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. But on March 30, the NCAA announced that spring sport athletes would receive an extra year of eligibility due to the lost season.

In an interview with Rutgers Athletics Communications, Mullins said, "I knew I wasn’t going to apply to medical school until the following year anyway. I realized that I could take another year to help prepare my application, whether it be getting some experience in the hospital or doing research while taking classes. So it was kind of a no-brainer for me once the dust settled to have another chance to come back and play Rutgers lacrosse again."

Mullins is double majoring in cell biology and neuroscience while on the pre-med track.

In the classroom, Mullins has earned the Big Ten Postgraduate Scholarship and is a three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree (2018-2020), a 2020 Scholar All-American and a three-time Big Ten Distinguished Scholar. 

Some of the on-field accomplishments that Mullins has earned include being named the 2020 Big Ten Preseason Player to Watch, being selected as a 2019 All-American honorable mention honoree and being named to the 2019 All-Big Ten First Team.

After earning a starting role with the Scarlet Knights as a true freshman, Mullins went on to start all 14 games that year, scoring 35 goals and earning All-Big Ten Second Team honors.

He ranks 11th all-time in program history with 99 goals scored, eighth all-time with 179 career points and has started every game since he arrived on campus.

In an interview with Lance Glinn from the On The Banks podcast, head men's lacrosse coach Brian Brecht commented on Mullins. 

“A true student-athlete the day he stepped onto campus,” Brecht said. He also mentioned that Mullins is a “great role model for the younger guys.” 

Rutgers has four upperclassmen starters returning this year, including Mullins, who had double-digit totals in goals and total points. In the shortened season, the Knights went 2-4. 

Ranked No. 22 in the nation by US Lacrosse Magazine, Rutgers has 18 newcomers, six of which are transfers. With a spring season, Mullins would have the opportunity to work with them.

For updates on the Rutgers men's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.