Rutgers alumni in NFL: Part 2

New England Patriots safety Devin McCourty has spent all of his 11 seasons in the NFL with the Patriots. – Photo by Wikimedia

Known as the birthplace of college football, Rutgers has a history of producing professional players. The Scarlet Knights have produced more than 100 NFL players and currently have 12 alumni in the league. The Daily Targum previously reported on seven. Here are the final 5 of those 12. 

Buffalo Bills tight end Tyler Kroft

A third-round pick in the 2015 draft, Kroft has entered his sixth season in the NFL. He spent four seasons with Cincinnati before heading to the Bills in 2019. Kroft has tallied 73 receptions and 732 yards in his NFL career. He played all 13 games his senior season with Rutgers and is a winner of the Loyal Knights Award.

New England Patriots cornerback Jason McCourty

Drafted by Tennessee in the sixth round of the 2009 draft, Jason McCourty has played 12 seasons in the NFL. He ended his Knights career with 148 tackles and two interceptions, and finished second in the Big East in kickoff returns his senior season.

After graduating with a bachelor’s degree in information technology, Jason McCourty has played with three NFL teams. He has been the Patriots’ starting cornerback since 2018 and was recently named one of their defensive captains.

The 2018 Super Bowl champion delivered the 2019 commencement speech alongside his twin brother, Devin McCourty. 

New England Patriots safety Devin McCourty 

A first-round draft pick in 2010, Devin McCourty has spent all of his 11 seasons in the NFL with the Patriots. He started all 13 games at cornerback for Rutgers his senior season and was named to the All-Big East First Team. He ended his collegiate career with 149 tackles and six interceptions.

Since getting drafted by New England, Devin McCourty has played 157 games and recorded 778 total tackles going into his team's game against Las Vegas. Devin McCourty was named a 2020 defensive captain alongside Jason McCourty. 

New York Giants cornerback Logan Ryan

Ryan was drafted by the Patriots in the 2013 draft. He played four seasons with New England before a three-season stint with the Titans. Ryan then signed a contract with the Giants this past off-season.

He played for the Knights from 2010-12, and was an All-Big East Second Team selection his sophomore year and a First-Team selection as a junior. He tallied 170 tackles and seven interceptions in his three years with Rutgers.

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Mohamed Sanu Sr.

A third-round draft pick in 2012, Sanu Sr. is in his ninth season in the NFL. In three seasons with the Knights, Sanu Sr. caught 210 passes for 2,263 yards and 19 touchdowns. In 2011, he broke the Big East single-season reception record with 115 receptions. 

Since being drafted in 2012, he has caught 403 passes totaling 4,507 yards with 26 receiving touchdowns.