4 Rutgers student-athletes, 1 athletics staff member contract coronavirus

and 
The University and public health officials are conducting contact tracing to identify who the student-athletes have been in contact with. – Photo by null

Rutgers Athletics announced on Wednesday that four student-athletes and one athletics staff member have tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The student-athletes are of the men’s lacrosse, gymnastics and wrestling teams, according to the statement.

The positives have been quarantined and the University, in conjunction with public health officials, is conducting contact tracing to identify individuals that have been in contact with the student-athletes, according to the statement.

The Daily Targum previously reported on the Big Ten’s medical protocols, which outline testing frequency.

“Testing frequency is based on the level of contact risk within each sport and is required for student-athletes, as well as coaches and staff depending upon exposure to the student-athletes,” according to the protocols.

It remains to be seen whether this new development will have an impact on the teams’ respective seasons. With fall sports already postponed, there is a chance that the virus will be contained so that the winter and spring sports can continue without further delay. With that being said, that depends on how much it spreads not only within the University, but also across the Big Ten.

For updates on Rutgers athletics, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.