Rutgers Athletics Department places restrictions on events in response to coronavirus

The Rutgers Athletics Department will continue to hold University sports competitions, but spectators will not be permitted to attend. – Photo by Eli Horowitz

The Rutgers University Department of Athletics announced restrictions that will be put in place for games in response to the spreading coronavirus (COVID-19) and the University moving to remote instruction, according to a press release.

Beginning on Thursday, March 12 through at least Friday, April 3, University athletics competitions taking place at Rutgers will be scheduled without spectators, according to the release. Accommodations will be made for credentialed media.

Rutgers team practices will also continue as scheduled with the absence of spectators or nonessential personnel, according to the release. Third-party events scheduled at University facilities have been canceled, but can be held in alternate locations at the discretion of the sponsoring entities.

Those who purchased tickets for any of these events will be contacted by the Rutgers Athletics Ticket Office for refunds, according to the release. This will be done after the refunds are processed.

“As everyone across the world continues to deal with the impact of COVID-19, the health and well-being of our student-athletes, coaches and staff is our primary concern,” according to the release. “We continue to seek advice so we can observe best practices and directives as set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and New Jersey Department of Health.”