Movie guide for those who are stressed under quarantine

Silver Linings Playbook includes many big names, including the leading stars of the film Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. The movie may be a major stress-reliever for those who need it.  – Photo by Flickr

With everything going on in the world right now, it is important to have a distraction from all the madness. This global pandemic and quarantine have led us all to experience boredom, anxiety and stress. Being stuck in our homes during such a concerning and critical pandemic is something different than we’ve ever experienced, but it's important to keep the anxiety to a minimum.

While getting outside and exercising is a common recommendation for this time, sitting down to watch some movies is a big distraction from the real world that we all could use. 

Step Brothers (2008):

This comedic relief film features Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly as two 40-something-year-old men who still live with their single parents. When their parents meet and fall in love, the two middle-aged goofballs are forced to live under the same roof. They begin as enemies and soon realize they are more similar than they thought.

Uniting the two as stepbrothers make for a hilarious plot, creating many quotable scenes. The witty humor and the delivery from these two actors are what makes this film so captivating. Ferrell and Reilly’s dynamic is authentic, which makes for a well-constructed plot and demonstrates experienced acting. This uplifting comedy, which can be found on Netflix and other streaming services, will ease some anxiety and give you a good laugh.

Silver Linings Playbook (2012):

This all-star cast plus the dysfunctional, drama-filled plot will have you captivated within minutes. Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence and Robert De Niro are three of America’s favorite lead actors, making this movie that much better. The acting in this film is spectacular, as they take on big roles and absolutely nail them. Lawrence and Cooper both play problematic characters that end up connecting through their similarities.

The acting isn’t the only stellar thing in this film though, as the plot is enthralling with a combination of romance, comedy and drama. This movie will give you 2 hours and 2 minutes of entertainment, sincerity and distraction.

Inside Out (2015):

This animated Pixar film is family-friendly and guaranteed to lift your spirits during these hard times. The film digs deeper into five emotions that everyone experiences: sadness, joy, fear, anger and disgust. Although the Disney platform has aimed for this movie to enlighten kids on their inner feelings and how to cope with them, it can also speak volumes to adults.

We get a look into the main character Riley’s emotions as she goes through a big change in her youth. The five animated emotions live in Riley’s mind as we see them try to adjust to her new life and all the difficulties she faces. The film shares lessons on mental wellness for not only children, but also viewers of all ages to understand. 

Forrest Gump (1994): 

This highly acclaimed, award-winning film is a classic must-watch for any age range. Tom Hanks plays Forrest Gump who we follow from childhood to adulthood. Forrest is not a very bright kid, and his immaturity follows him through adulthood, where we see him brave many challenges and experience great historic events. Through all of these great experiences Forrest has, we see what life is like through his eyes and how he lives much differently than most. Never leaving his mind through all of this is his childhood best friend, Jenny.

The story unfolds and creates a great heartwarming drama. The acting is superb and the storyline is endearing, making way for the six Oscars won and a spectacular "classic" film. Seen it or not, this is a great watch to distract the mind. 

Mamma Mia! (2008) / Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018):

This romantic-comedy based off the Broadway musical will raise your spirits and get you singing along to the catchy hit songs that come with this drama. A mother-daughter duo, played by Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried, run a small hotel together on a Greek island. Daughter Sophie yearns to find her father before her wedding day, creating drama, comedy and an excellent soundtrack.

If you loved the first one, 10 years later in 2018 “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again” was released and became even more of a hit than the original. The film not only updates you on Sophie’s life, but also explains the story behind mother Donna’s teen years before Sophie came to be. Both films are musical, romantic and spirited, making for a great movie night lineup.