Thoughts on marriage

Marriage, and specifically weddings, look different globally. In many traditions, like those of Pakistani, Indian and Arab cultures, putting on henna is the norm.  – Photo by needpix

Let’s talk about marriage! 

In the 21st century, ideas surrounding marriage are rapidly changing. There’s a lot of questions to be asked when it comes to spending your life with someone but these questions are essential.

Marriage has the potential to be a lot of things. It can be challenging, and in my opinion, it would completely change my life. But as dating and hook-up culture become more prevalent, I think our generation is drifting away from the idea of long-term commitment and the notion that there is only one person out there who is meant for you.

In terms of propagating gender stereotypes, I don’t necessarily think marriage, intrinsically, is a sort of contract that dictates your role in the relationship. I think that’s up to the people in the relationship. And suggesting such would also exclude how many different genders and relationships exist today. 

I think the binding part of marriage is that a person feels pressured to stay with that one person and work things out, even though there might be real signs that they should leave.

That being said, there is also something beautiful about being in love with one person forever and wanting to build a life with that person — whether it involves kids, a home or just someone to share everything with.

There’s a part of me that’s always been a bit of a hopeless romantic. Date nights, flowers, chocolate, I want all of it! But I think, like many others, I dream of endless romance in general more than endless romance with the same person. As a kid, I was obsessed with TLC shows like “Say Yes to the Dress” and dreamed of throwing a huge wedding. But the dreaming just stopped there.

Personally, I’m very split when it comes to getting married. I do believe I’d be just as happy dating until I get bored and then living alone as I would be married with three kids. Truly though, I’ve never imagined myself getting married.

In my future, I see myself just dating and figuring myself out. But being young, I know my opinions are subject to change. And who knows, the right person might have me rethinking everything!

But for now, I’d really prefer to be one of those bridesmaids on “Say Yes to the Dress” who sneaks into the back room to try on dresses while the bride sobs with her veil on.