RUPD euthanizes coyote after two attacks on Livingston campus

Because the coyote on the Livingston campus was unusually aggressive and did not fear humans, officials presume it was sick or rabid.  – Photo by Flickr

After two incidents of an aggressive coyote on Livingston campus, the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) euthanized an aggressive coyote believed to have been involved on Thursday, Nov. 21 at approximately 12:30 a.m., according to a University-wide alert.

RUPD officers observed the coyote near Parking Lot 105 on Livingston campus, near the location of the Nov. 18 incident, according to the alert.

The officers positioned themselves to move the coyote away from the area, but the coyote continued to approach an officer and a police vehicle, according to the alert.

The coyote’s unusually aggressive behavior indicated that it was most likely sick, and the officer euthanized the coyote once it was in a safe area, according to the alert.

The coyote was promptly retrieved by an animal control officer and will be tested for rabies, according to the alert. They expect test results sometime next week.

“A normal healthy coyote will run away. They really have a natural fear of people and don’t like to be around people,” said Dave Golden, the Director of the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife, according to an article on Patch.com. “But coyotes can get rabies and when they get it, they lose that natural fear of people.”

The University worked in collaboration with the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection’s (DEP) Division of Fish and Wildlife since the first incident on Nov. 14, according to the alert.

In the first incident on Nov. 14, the victim was bitten by a coyote when walking in the area of the Rutgers University Ecological Preserve on Livingston campus at approximately 4 a.m., The Daily Targum previously reported.

In the second incident on Nov. 18, the victim was in the area of Parking Lot 105 when the coyote approached him from behind and bit his left pant leg, the Targum reported.

“The safety of our students, faculty, staff and visitors are the highest priority for Rutgers University and the RUPD,” said Kenneth Cop, Rutgers University Police Chief, according to the alert. “We thank the DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife for working closely with us to protect our campus community and neighboring communities.”