COMMENTARY: Make your impact on Rutgers Giving Day

– Photo by null

Giving is about more than just making a donation — it is about making a difference. I have learned how to make a difference with the Teaching Annual Giving (TAG) Team at Rutgers. I joined the TAG Team three years ago and quickly learned how important it was to our success as students.

The TAG Team works to educate other students about the importance of alumni support for Rutgers. The people who came before us helped make our experience possible. Their philanthropic donations ensure that we have what we need to succeed. 

There is no greater example of this philanthropy than Rutgers Giving Day. On Wednesday, March 27, the Rutgers community will come together to “think bigger” and take part in this daylong giving event. Last year, more than 6,500 alumni, students, parents, faculty, staff and friends gave back to support students like us. As a community, we raised nearly $2.5 million to support scholarships, student programming, research, athletics and more. 

I know the topic of giving back to Rutgers is confusing. As a student, you may think, “Why does it matter?” or “I pay tuition, why does the school need donations?” But the truth is, support makes a huge difference. Rutgers is a state institution, but state support, student tuition and fees only go so far. In fact, they cover less than two-thirds of a Rutgers education in an academic year. This means that we rely on the generosity of donors to fill the gap.

On March 27, you can support any area at the University. There are hundreds of funds that support each and every one of our unique experiences. Rutgers Giving Day, or #RUGivingDay, is such an important day to give because your gift combines with thousands of others to have a powerful, enduring impact on Rutgers and beyond. This year, there are so many ways to get involved. 

On March 26, the day before Rutgers Giving Day, be on the lookout for the Gift Box Challenge. Hundreds of lucky students will receive a small gift and learn how to get involved on Rutgers Giving Day.

On March 27, join in the #RUGivingDay fun by stopping at Cook Student Center (and Harvest Café on Cook campus) for tabling events from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for giveaways and more!

Help unlock $10,000 for student scholarships via the Chancellor Challenge by being 1 of 500 New Brunswick students to donate. Make a $5-minimum gift in person or online at givingday.rutgers.edu and earn a scratch-off ticket, which will give you the chance to unlock even more money for your favorite Rutgers fund. You can also vote for a Rutgers cause to win extra cash and receive a Rutgers Giving Day collectible as a thank you.

Finally, share your #RUGivingDay voice on social media. Follow @RutgersU on Twitter and Instagram for challenge notifications, social contests and so much more.

As a member of the TAG Team, I have found an extension of my family at Rutgers, and I have learned what it means to be Scarlet Forever — forever connected, forever involved and forever invested. Each year, I choose to donate to the general scholarship fund because the scholarship I received from Rutgers directly influenced my decision to come here. Each gift, large or small, makes a difference. By supporting Rutgers, we have the power to make the impossible possible. 

For more information about this year’s Rutgers Giving Day, email [email protected] or call 732-839-GIVE (4483).

Claire Stermer is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in human resource management and theater arts. She is the assistant director of content development for the Rutgers TAG (Teaching Annual Giving) Team. 

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes   submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print      newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest   columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All authors   must include their name, phone number, class year and college   affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please   submit via email to [email protected] by 4 p.m. to be considered for   the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not    necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its   staff.