Gov Ball has ‘No Problem’ stacking this year’s lineup

– Photo by Instagram

Classes are coming to an end, the sun is coming out, new albums are being released and for students on the East Coast, those are signs that point to summer music festival Governors Ball.

The outdoor music festival on Randall’s Island in New York City will be sounding a carefully curated blend of beats, genres and vibes in high-octane, high-volume three-day event. With so many well-known artists in one place, there will seldom be a dull moment — but there are also several standouts.

Friday, June 2

The long weekend will kick-off with heavy-hitter and independent rap artist Chance the Rapper headlining the night. Singer, rapper, songwriter and producer and one of Time’s 100 most influential people, the renaissance man with three full-length albums (or mixtapes) under his belt will surely make waves around Gov Ball’s island. His set is a must-see and will be one of his first on his summer of playing festivals around the country.

Also on the first day, New Zealand-born artist Lorde will be performing. She has just released two singles, “Green Light” and “Liability,” which both are a more mature build on her trademark conversational pop style seen in her last full-length “Pure Heroine.” Pure Heroine was released four years ago, so Gov Ball will be a good opportunity for Lorde fans to hear new music.

Saturday, June 3

Day two’s lineup is equally as impressive as the previous with a predicted stand out performance from Donald Glover, better known in the music industry as Childish Gambino. His comedic and clever rap style is a synthesis of fine lyrics and dynamic beats that pick up from jazz, funk and hip-hop concepts. Gambino’s latest album will be less than a year old during Gov Ball, and its experimental feel will likely make for an equally as unique performance this summer.

Earlier in the day, indie-pop band Saint Motel will bring their bouncy beats to one of the Randall’s Island stages. The California-formed quartet’s music has an innate retro and tropic feel that makes for a natural summer soundtrack. Saint Motel’s set should be an indie-fresh and upbeat blend of beats perfect for the energy of the mid-day summer sun.

Sunday, June 4

If you are a University student who frequents Beats on the Banks concerts than day three will have a nostalgic feel with another chance to see Logic perform live. The Maryland native performed at the College Avenue Gymnasium last fall semester, making his mark on the University community, and since then has released a new single called “Everybody,” the title track of his next full-length album. “Everybody” will drop about a month before his festival performance, shaping up his set to be another great opportunity to hear new music.

Scottish rock group Franz Ferdinand will be another highlight on the last day of the festival. The group hasn’t been on tour in three years but will be gracing one of the Gov Ball stages in the middle of a full-summer United States tour. Their instantly catchy guitar riffs and classic pop-punk rhythms are full of energy and attitude and shouldn’t be missed during this spontaneous comeback tour. Franz Ferdinand’s set will probably be packed with their classic hits — and maybe some new music, too.