Tim McDonnell returns home after October car accident

Rutgers junior Timmy McDonnell, 21, returned to his home after being struck by a car in New Brunswick, according to Verizon FiOS1 News on Jan. 15.

A car struck McDonnell the morning of Oct. 4 on Easton Avenue, according to a previous article in The Daily Targum. McDonnell, from Holmdel, N.J., was then taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in critical condition.

According to The Daily Targum, Michael Schenk, 30, from Somerset, was driving eastbound down Easton when his car struck McDonnell at 2:16 a.m. near Olde Queens Tavern.

After spending 25 days in critical care, McDonnell awoke from his coma and was transferred to the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in West Orange on Oct. 29, according to The Asbury Park Press. Though he was out of his coma, McDonnell remained incapable of talking and could not move the right side of his body.

In a video posted online by Verizon FiOS1 News, McDonnell can be observed walking and performing rehabilitative exercises in a clip of him at the Kessler Institute.

Tim McDonnell, Timmy McDonnell’s father, said his son’s recovery is attributed to the outflow of kindness and support from fellow New Jersey residents.

“It’s been really difficult on everybody,” he said. “With all the prayers and all the help [from] everybody we’ve got around town, and all over New Jersey really, they kind of ‘willed’ Timmy back to health.”

According to Verizon FiOS1 News, Timmy McDonnell will resume his rehabilitation at the Kessler Institute this Monday, operating at a three day per week schedule. His father said this routine would likely last two months, later increasing to five days per week, focusing more on his cognitive activity.

It is currently unknown when Timmy McDonnell will return to Rutgers. The Jan. 15 video reports that his doctors expect the junior’s full recovery.

“From day one I told my parents that this day was going to come,” said Matty McDonnell, Timmy’s brother.