Federal judge adds restrictions to New Jersey's public firearm carry law

The U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey recently overturned portions of a gun safety bill that was originally signed into state law in December 2022. – Photo by Dinara G / Googlemaps.com

Yesterday, the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey issued new limitations on a recently passed New Jersey gun safety bill, according to an article from Politico.

The bill, signed into law by Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) in December 2022, prohibited individuals from carrying firearms in certain locations, increased the requirements for obtaining a firearm permit and mandated that gun owners purchase liability insurance, according to a press release.

The district court’s recent ruling also reverses public carry restrictions in parks, casinos and beaches. The court's injunction pertaining to the law is the second of its kind this month, according to the article from Politico.

Previously, the court overturned the law's regulations for public carry in entertainment venues such as libraries, museums, stadiums and arenas as well as in establishments that serve alcohol.

The only spaces in which the district court has explicitly upheld these restrictions are zoos, airports, medical facilities, film production sites and playgrounds, according to the article. Though, more legal challenges may continue to arise regarding the law.

The district court’s ruling comes at a time when the number of mass shootings in the U.S. surpasses the number of days of this year, according to a tracker from the Gun Violence Archive. As of yesterday, there have been 50 mass shootings across the nation.