Murphy creates task force to address staffing scarcities in primary education

Last Thursday, Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) authorized a task force to research and propose solutions to address staffing shortages in schools. – Photo by @1010WINS / Twitter

Last Thursday, Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) announced that he would be authorizing a task force to address employment scarcities in public education, according to a press release.

The task force will present multidimensional suggestions, tools and methods to replenish educational and administrative personnel for elementary, middle and high schools across the state.

The task force will consist of 25 individuals, including educators, professional association members, teaching assistants and administrative leaders. They will have until the end of January 2023 to provide the initial recommendation, according to the release.

The task force's creation comes after reported increases in school staffing shortages. In August, the National Education Association announced a deficit of approximately 300,000 educational staff members nationwide, according to an article from POLITICO.

The staffing shortages may be the result of a lack of enrollment in teacher education programs. This decrease in enrollment can be attributed to perceptions about the teaching profession, including those that associate the job with low salaries and inadequate working conditions, according to the article.

"Educators play an invaluable role in shaping the lives of their students and ultimately molding our country’s future," Murphy said. "My administration remains steadfast in our commitment to identifying solutions to address this shortage, and I am confident that this task force will offer the unique perspectives and experience that this moment requires."