FUCHS: Not every major is the most lucrative — that is okay

Column: Questioning Jules

Some career paths, like archaeology, might not have the biggest paychecks, but that does not mean they are not valuable. – Photo by Pxhere.com

As hard as taking classes through remote learning these past semesters was, there are things I miss about it, like the lack of judgement from other people in class. It was easy to tune out negativity, as people primarily communicated through social media, something I could turn off at any time.

One of the most annoying things about being back is the amount of judgement people have for certain college majors and insulting remarks based on what someone’s future salary may be. 

Being a history and anthropology major, I am not free of judgmental remarks — not by a long shot. There is actually nothing I hate more than explaining to people that I am want to be an archeologist. A judgmental remark follows my explanation 99 percent of the time.

I am also asked things like “What are you going to do with that?” or “How are you going to make money?" I am often compared to people who take on more vocational majors like engineering or premedical programs.

The truth is, I will never be Jeff Bezos rich, or anywhere close in my future. I will have to work very hard to establish myself in the competitive academic field I am aiming to get into. There will be people who are on other career paths who might not have to work as hard and will make more money than I will.

The truth is, I could not care less if I make a smaller salary in my future than a doctor or an engineer. Frankly, somebody who is saving lives or somebody who is designing chemicals or machinery probably should make more money. What infuriates me though is that people actually think that being on a higher paying career path makes them better than anyone else.

We are all paying a lot of money to be at Rutgers and we are all sacrificing years of our limited time on earth to be here studying.

If it is your goal in life to be an engineer, doctor or lawyer then all the power to you. You will probably be successful and make a nice living. But if you are prioritizing making a higher salary over your interests and your own happiness, you should reconsider how you are spending your time.

Many students might feel pressured by the economic issues or a familial push to pursue certain careers. Some career paths will be easier to find work in after graduation and will set you up for a steady and consistent career for life. These are all important things to consider but if you are not truly happy with your choices, was it even worth it? 

You only have one life on this Earth, and it will go by very quickly. Sometimes, jobs that pay more are not always the right ones for you. Consider this — if you make a lot of money in your career but are miserable every single day of your life, then what was the point?

Not everyone has the privilege and opportunity or even the desire to go to college. While you are here, you might as well study something you enjoy no matter what it might be. 

Success and happiness do not equate to higher incomes and material goods. Some of the most influential people, as a matter of fact, were not very wealthy at all during their lifetime. It can be easy to be caught in the lie that money is everything but that could not be farther from the truth. Yes, careers are important and it is important to think about what you will be doing after you finish your undergraduate education.

As long as you work hard and network well, no matter what degree you pursue I promise there is something out there for you. Besides, what matters most when it comes to getting jobs after college is the work experience you had while attending and internships or volunteer work.

Once you are finished with your degree, most career paths will be open to you as long as you did internships and got field experience. People of all majors are able to get into medical or law school, for instance. 

Julia Fuchs is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in history and anthropology and minoring in French and archaeology. Her column, "Questioning Jules," runs on alternate Thursdays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons  and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.