FUCHS: Campus commutes cause collective headaches

Column: Questioning Jules

Going to a bus stop that is less busy, even if it is a bit farther away, can help make your commute less stressful. – Photo by Olivia Thiel

I know I am not alone when it comes to having a toxic relationship with the Rutgers buses. We need them in order to get to our classes, and are often dependent on them to be on time. In many ways, the buses are like an unreliable boyfriend. They seem great and you forget why you were mad at them in the first place once you get on the bus, but then they consistently let you down and cause you frustration like no other. 

I just want to preface this by saying that I am not blaming the bus drivers in any way. They are extremely hard working and are putting their lives on the line every single day for us. Driving a huge bus through traffic at the volume that New Brunswick has is no easy task.

Neither is being exposed to thousands of people who think they are too good to wear a mask on the bus during a global pandemic (I am looking at you, people who talk on the phone with their mask down on the bus). 

The simple reason why the buses cause us so much stress is due to basic human selfishness which becomes present with anxiety. I am not going to sit here and say that I have never pushed in front of people to make a bus on time because I was afraid of being late to a class. That said, this is the root to our problems with our beloved bus system.

Instead of thinking logically, when it comes to needing to be somewhere we do everything we can to get to where we need to be without thinking through the steps needed to get there. Take the College Avenue campus for example, getting on at the Rutgers Student Center or the Student Activities Center is a lot less crowded when I am getting on my EE bus than The Yard @ College Avenue is.

Why is this? Because people perceive the Yard stop as the best and most convenient bus stop. In reality, it is easily the most frustrating and crowded bus stop of all the bus routes.

Instead of forcing your way in front of everyone else at the Yard, think logically and go to another bus stop. It is annoying to always have to walk, but it saves you a lot of frustration. Most bus stops are close enough together that it is a very small walking distance, and will not make you late for class. 

Other selfish behaviors that are present on buses is putting your bag down on a seat next to you (which is also a recurring issue at the Yardbucks). When the bus is crowded and people need to stand, it is rude to take up a seat just for your bag. It is also not ideal when people are standing on the bus because it is so crowded and someone is taking up extra space to look at their phone.

Bus etiquette is essential to having a good and safe experience on the bus. It is important for students to think about how their poor bus etiquette impacts others around them, and to be logical and try to focus more on getting where you need to go efficiently. If a bus is already crowded and you have time, maybe wait for another one? Or even walk to the next nearest bus stop.

These are little things you can do to reduce anxiety. If possible also just make an effort to get on the bus earlier and think ahead. 

Julia Fuchs is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in history and anthropology and minoring in French and archaeology. Her column, "Questioning Jules," runs on alternate Tuesdays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons  and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.