FUCHS: Lessons from Molière's 'Tartuffe' about selflessness

Column: Questioning Jules

French playwright Molière's work gives us lessons on what it means to be a good person and how the intentions behind our performative good deeds change their value.  – Photo by Wikimedia

Recently, I read a very interesting play in French literature called, "Tartuffe" or "The Imposter," by Molière. "Tartuffe" tells the story of a man of the same name who masquerades as being pious and religious but is really just broke and trying to take advantage of a rich family. The head of the family, Orgon, is tricked by Tartuffe’s actions into thinking that he is a good person because he acts as a martyr and is vocal about his penance.

To put it simply, Tartuffe is one of the first honest portrayals of how people act today. I want to warn you, this article may sound a lot like a term paper. It is hard to switch from opinion writing code to modern code, but here goes nothing!

When I was reading this play, I began to think through a lot of the themes and how they can relate to today’s society. I believe that "Tartuffe" is meant to criticize fanaticism.

Although written in the 1600s, I feel that a lot of the underlying themes of the play can be related to my previous article and what it means to be a good person and what we as a society value in a good person.  Let us unpack this a little. It is so simple, in today’s society, as long as someone acts like a good person, they are perceived as being a good person.

This is not the case at all. Being a good person requires proactive action and sincerity. Acting like a good person, without sincere care and empathy, does not make one a good person, but a person who does good deeds occasionally.

I want to start by saying that no, I do not believe that being religious or selfless is an act made for everyone. There are people who identify closely with a well-regarded organization to make themselves seem better, yes. Nonetheless, there are people who exist who are genuine and want to help other people.

There are also people who do not feel the need to advertise every charitable act they do. In my opinion, to be charitable and kind is to also do kind actions without the expectation of being applauded. The truth is, if you need to announce every helpful thing you do and expect everyone to praise your actions, you are not doing them for the right reasons. 

Helping others who are in need, by definition, is showing empathy. As the one doing a charitable deed — maybe working as a volunteer EMT to save lives or helping out at a church food drive — you are putting aside your own struggles and recognizing that there are people who are going through something worse than you.

Yet, it is also important to evaluate why you are doing such a selfless act. Are you doing this because you want a stronger college resume? Are you doing something because you want people to think you are a good person? Or are you doing it because you want to make a difference? 

To be honest, I do not think it is problematic to be driven to do good deeds for a college resume or anything else like that, as long as you understand the greater cause, and a bigger part of you wants to help and make a difference in someone else’s life. It also is not really a good look to constantly brag about how much you do for other people — this is one of those instances where it might not be a sincere act of kindness.

It is okay to be open about the community service you do or religious acts of penance you might do. But bragging about it and using it as an excuse to act in negative ways is not okay. 

For example, Tartuffe, as a character, very obnoxiously announced his penance and devotion in a way that made it seem insincere, to the reader at least. Tartuffe wore his cilice (a garment that was worn to show penance in the Middle Ages) over his clothing rather than as an undergarment, which is what truly pious people did.

He prayed publicly and turned everything everyone did into an opportunity to act morally superior when prayer is traditionally supposed to be something you do in private. His entire personality to others was completely based on his religion and his beliefs.

Had he been private about his prayer and focused his energy on being a kind and sincere person, rather than trying to push his brand on everyone else, well then, we would not have the masterpiece that is "Tartuffe."

Being a person like Tartuffe can be intentional or unintentional. I believe when taking an action, especially a charitable one, it is very important to make sure you are working toward a cause you care about. Sincerely caring for others and working to help, without having to advertise it, is the best way to avoid this false sense of goodness.

I do agree that yes, any actions you can take to help someone else are by definition good and charitable. That said, it is not ethical or in the likes of a good person, who is empathetic and honest, to only act charitably as a method of self-branding. 

To be clear, there is a huge difference between being open about something and advertising it. It is okay to be open about your causes that you care about and fight for. Walk the walk, do not talk the talk!

Julia Fuchs is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in history and anthropology and minoring in French and archaeology. Her column, "Questioning Jules," runs on alternate Thursdays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.