2 Rutgers students involved in robberies over weekend

A quarter before 4 a.m. on Sunday morning, a member of the Rutgers community was hit in the face by a male perpetrator near Townsend Street and Joyce Kilmer Avenue. Another incident occurred on Richardson Street between College Avenue and Sicard Street. – Photo by Google Maps

Two robberies occurred over this past weekend in New Brunswick, according to a crime alert sent out by Detective Lt. Brian Emmett with the Rutgers University Police Department.

Four male perpetrators stole a cell phone from a member of the Rutgers community on Saturday night shortly before midnight. 

This incident happened on Richardson Street between College Avenue and Sicard Street.

The victim was sitting in a parked vehicle at the time. He and another Rutgers member followed the thieves to Huntington Street.

"(They) then discontinued their chase when one of the perpetrators claimed they had a gun. No weapons were brandished and the victims were not physically injured," Emmett said.

A quarter before 4 a.m. on Sunday morning, another member of the Rutgers community was hit in the face by a male perpetrator near Townsend Street and Joyce Kilmer Avenue. The two got into a brief scuffle where the perpetrator asked for the victim's wallet, but left after the victim said he had nothing of value on him. 

The victim suffered from minor injuries and refused medical attention at the time.

"The descriptions of the perpetrators for both incidents are limited at this time," Emmett said. "The New Brunswick Police Department asks that anyone with information, or who may have been in the area at the time, to contact the New Brunswick Police Department Detective Bureau at 732-745-5217."

The crime alert also said students can help protect themselves by reporting suspicious activity, remaining aware of their surroundings, avoiding dark areas and walking in groups at night.

"The Rutgers University Police Department provides escorts to students, faculty, and staff upon request. The escorts provide our community with personalized service to their vehicles, campus residence, or the University's mass transit system," Emmett said. "In order to request a security escort we ask that an individual contact the police communications center at 732-932-7211."